“Kiss Me, Kate” Set to be Winter Musical

Photo courtesy of Krishiv Malhotra
Scripts of “Kiss Me Kate”

Every year, the Mount Greylock Theater department presents a winter musical. This year’s musical will be “Kiss Me, Kate,” first debuted on Broadway in 1948 and composed by the legendary Broadway songwriter and composer, Cole Porter. Mount Greylock will perform its rendition in the late winter, with Jeffrey Welch as the director. 

For many years, the name Welch and the Mount Greylock musical have gone hand in hand, and this year marks Welch’s twenty-fifth show as the director. 

As for the choice of show, Welch said, “It has a large cast of character roles and we have a lot of people in the musical ensemble. This gives them more opportunities to have a presence on stage.” Also, he said, “a lot of students in the musical now are very active in Shakespeare, and it is a musical about doing Shakespeare.”

The choice of the musical is always a big topic for the cast. Senior Vincent Welch, a lead in last year’s musical, said he had “a lot of faith in Mr. Welch to pick a good one.” Vincent Welch said “Kiss me Kate” will be a crowd pleaser. “It is funny and has lots of banter back and forth…the vibe is different,” he said.