World Football Weekly: 11/6

IMG_0239a

Column by: Elias Sekkal, Aaron Kleiner, Manas Jain, Matthew Kleiner

Each week, The Echo’s own football pundits will discuss two of Europe’s biggest matches at the weekend and make their prediction.

Arsenal-Tottenham

With Arsenal’s hopes of advancing to the knockout stages of the Champions League hanging in  the balance after a humiliating loss to Bayern Munchen midweek, the Gunners could use a strong performance in the North London derby to bolster morale. Tied with Manchester City at the head of the table, Arsene Wenger’s side is looking for a first Premier League title since the famous unbeaten 05-06 season. The Gunners’ underperformance in the Champions League has not been mirrored in league play and have scored 16 in the last five fixtures while conceding thrice. Tottenham presents a potent attack force with Harry Kane and Erik Lamela, but will require an impressive turnout in order to stay in a European spot.

Elias: The latest installment of the most heated rivalry in London is sure to be an exciting one with plenty of goals to be scored. 3-2 Arsenal wins

Matthew: The Gunners will easily put the Champions League disappointment behind them, as they so often have and move to top of the table after an Aston Villa victory. 2-0 Arsenal wins

Manas: In the history of this rivalry, Arsenal has scored more goals against Tottenham than any other club while under Arsene Wenger and Arsenal has won six of the last nine fixtures against Tottenham. Add another one to the win column. 2-1 Arsenal wins

Aaron: In the first North London derby of the current campaign, Arsenal will prove that their top spot in the domestic league is well-deserved. 3-1 Arsenal wins

Roma-Lazio

Arguably the most storied derby in world football returns to the European stage this weekend. A rivalry defined for almost a century by two sides’ pure hatred for one another, the Derby della Capitale never fails to give viewers the excitement and drama they so crave. In this fixture a year ago, Francesco Totti led Roma from 2-0 down at the break to a historic 2-2 draw, famously celebrating his second goal with a selfie in front of the Curva Sud. Unfortunately for the Giallorossi, this time around, Totti will not be able to provide the inspiration as he is currently serving a long spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. However, the Lupi find solace in the fact that Edin Dzeko, widely heralded as Totti’s eventual successor, ended his recent goal drought with a crucial goal in the Champions League earlier this week. With last week’s loss at Inter leaving Roma two points below the top spot, the Giallorossi are all-the-more desperate to top their bitter cross-town rivals. Lazio will also be out for blood, needing to put an extremely poor performance against Milan behind them. The memories of last year’s two less than desirable results against the Giallorossi will incite Stefano Pioli’s side further. But the Biancocelesti faithful are surely worried heading into the first derby of the campaign, given their squad’s recent struggles. Regardless of the result, the Stadio Olimpico is sure to provide an electric atmosphere with both sides under massive pressure to prove their dominance.

Elias: Sitting 5 points under their cross-town rivals coming into the match, Lazio will have much to prove, and prove they will. 2-1 Lazio wins

Manas: Roma is coming off a Champions League win against Bayer Leverkusen, while Lazio is coming off a loss to 6th place Milan. Lazio will be unable to compete against a strong Roma. 2-1 Roma wins

Matthew: This weekend’s Derby della Capitale will bring excitement, violence, and a massive Roma victory to the Italian capital. 3-0 Roma wins

Aaron: Roma’s recent domestic dominance came to a halt with a loss last weekend at Inter, but the Giallorossi will rebound with a convincing display against their cross-city rivals. 2-1 Roma Wins

World Football Weekly

Current Standings:
Aaron 4
Matthew 4
Elias 2
Manas 3

1 point for correct result, 2 for correct scoreline

3 Comments

3 Responses to “World Football Weekly: 11/6”

1. Roz on February 18th, 2016 10:09 pm

I’m saying this as seomone who treated the 2007 win as reason to party hard and celebrate like the World Cup was a friendly summer trophy. But it feels as though the entire competition jumped the shark with the 08 win, doesn’t it? At least from a Roma POV. I’d never diminish the cup for clubs who want to win something, whatever, badly. I’m just not sure we’re that club any longer, or if we should be that club. I didn’t even care too much when we lost the final to Inter this year, the entire game felt like a nuisance that conflicted with the dream of pulling of a miracle in serie A.I’ll be saving my lemon slice for bigger baccale0, too.

2. Roz on February 18th, 2016 10:09 pm

3. Roz on February 18th, 2016 10:09 pm

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Features

Freshman’s Webcomic Interest Leaves Mark on Directed Study Classroom

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Features

Community, Bonding, and School Spirit

• Features

1968

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Features

Winter Wonderlands: One Student’s Nutcracker Experiences

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Features

As Winter Begins, Students Talk Snow Days and Alternative Solutions

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Arts & Living

A Look at Chapter Two Books and the Charm of Used Literature

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Community

GSA Continues to Promote Acceptance at Greylock

• Community

Club Spotlight: Junior Classical League

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Features

Longer Break Lets Students Breathe

• World Football Weekly: 11/6

Arts

Friends of the Arts Continues to Support Mount Greylock Theater

World Football Weekly: 11/6