Student Art Featured at Mount Greylock

Photo courtesy of Jaclynn Kastrinakis
Paige Cangelosi’s art piece

Throughout the year, the art department faculty select student-created pieces to be displayed in cases in the hallways of Mount Greylock. Sophomore Page Cangelosi, junior Kaeya Durley and Senior Marley Alpi all have had their work displayed recently.

Cangelosi’s assignment for her art piece was to create a collage, while both Durley and Alpi were able to construct anything they wanted for their advanced art class. Durley’s self portrait used semi-realism with bright colors and a cartoon twist to it, Alpi’s painting focused on great attention to detail and achieving a realistic look, and Cangelosi’s collage offered a style that was slightly more abstract. Presenting these art pieces in the display cases brings attention to students’ skills and adds a pop of color to the school.

As to what inspired her work, Cangelosi said, “I wanted to make it [the art piece] not exactly like the other ones that I had seen before.” Her college includes a monochrome background with bright paint colors with different patterns.  

The painting that Alpi created was inspired by a specific scene in the film “Megan is Missing.” “This image really scared a lot of people. And I really like getting that effect from my art,” Alpi said.

Durley’s self portrait used a technique called cell shading. Cell shading is “where the shading isn’t blended out,” Durley explained. “I wanted to make something that was very colorful and aesthetically pleasing.”

All three of these students plan to stay involved with art throughout their life, and Alpi and Durley said they plan to go to school for art after high school. “I think it’d be really nice to open up my own studio,” Durley said. 

Art has the ability to reflect the style and personality of a student, illustrate emotion and showcase a student’s originality. By having these works in the hallway cases, Mount Greylock creates an opportunity for students to view their peer’s work and encourage the visibility of art classes.