Dr. Simran Singh Returns to Mount Greylock

The+Greylock+Multicultural+Student+Union+meets+with+Singh.+
Photo courtesy of Ramita Jain
The Greylock Multicultural Student Union meets with Singh.

Dr. Simran Singh returned to Mount Greylock Regional School on Friday, March 15. After visiting in the fall of 2023, Singh left a positive impression on many students who could not wait to have another discussion. 

“The Student Council requested that he come back and suggested that we do some small groups,” Principal Jake Schutz said on why the school invited Singh back.

Singh met in these small groups with each 7th grade science class, where they discussed bullying. 

Student Council Vice President Caleb Low said that bullying is “a sizable problem, especially coming out of the COVID era where kids are getting their phones a lot younger.”

Singh also met with some of Mount Greylock’s clubs: the Student Council, the Greylock Multicultural Student Union and the Gender Sexuality Alliance. 

Singh spent longer periods of time with these clubs, where he discussed how children are now being “exposed to the problems of the world from an early age, earlier than when he was a child,” Low said. 

Low added that Singh spoke about keeping his “walls up” in a world where information is everywhere. “Singh and the Student Council discussed racism, misinformation and ways to talk to people with differing views,” Low said.

Singh then answered questions from the students, which led into a period of discussion about “some issues that are plaguing us as a school and a global community as well,” Low said.

Singh has a unique presentation style that makes many students more comfortable and attentive throughout the difficult topics of discussion. 

“I like his approach. He’s easy to listen to and understand,” Schutz said. “He doesn’t just have a canned speech or narrative…each class he met with, it was tailored towards what those students were asking and the vibe of the group.” 

He added, “Singh is someone who approaches it truly based on a discussion method, and because of that his message resonates more with people.”

Schutz added that the school doesn’t yet have plans to have Singh back, but are open to another potential visit in the upcoming years.