Girls Lacrosse; Athletic and Experienced

In 2014, head coach Lindsey Vonn Holtz led her Mt. Greylock girls lacrosse team to a 18-2-1 final record, losing in the quarterfinals of the Western/Central Massachusetts Division II tournament to Littleton, 12-3. Last year’s team was young, but exceptionally talented. The majority of the players on the roster were freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. These players return in 2015 more experienced and poised to make a deep run in this year’s tournament.

Last year’s leading scorers return to solidify a strong midfield. Senior captain Lucy Barrett, junior captain Maggie Rorke, and sophomore Sarah Stripp each look to improve on their output from last year and overpower teams as a unit with their offensive prowess. Freshman Caroline Flynn and junior Julia Whitney help anchor the attack line for the Mounties, however, that unit will certainly miss the presence of the quick and elusive Emily Sabin this year, as she will not be able to return due to previous problems with head injuries. On defense, the Mounties return juniors Hope Willis and Haley Reinhard as well as sophomore Dagny Albano. Senior Sam MacWhinnie will replace Paige Willis in goal this year.

In addition to a solid starting lineup, the Mounties have depth. “We lost eight seniors last year which leaves a lot of spots open on varsity that some of the freshmen and sophomores will have to fill. We’re really trying to focus on helping the younger girls improve because we’re a relatively young team and we want them to be prepared to play on the varsity level. Our schedule has gotten a lot harder this year as well, so we want our team to be as strong as it can be against those difficult teams,” noted Rorke.

“I think our key to success [this year] will be working together. Our team has a lot of talented players, so playing as a team instead of relying on certain players to do a lot of the work will really help us play our best against the challenging opponents,” said Rorke when asked about the key to the team’s success. Mt. Greylock boasts a strong schedule this year with teams such as, Chicopee, Chicopee Comprehensive, West Springfield, East Longmeadow, Mt. Anthony, Burr & Burton Academy, and Westfield.

In regards to a coveted Western Massachusetts championship, Rorke believes that, “It would be an amazing accomplishment. It’s our ultimate team goal. On a personal level, I would be incredibly proud of the team and it would mean so much to me, especially since we’ve only been a varsity sport for four years.”

Primed for a deep run, the Mounties girls’ lacrosse team aims high and far this season in search for its program’s first title.