Boys’ Basketball Starts Season Strong

Coming off of a heartbreaking loss to Hoosac Valley in the Western Mass. Quarterfinals to end their run this past Spring, the Boys’ Basketball team will want to build off the positives of the last campaign and look to make a longer run in the postseason. Despite losing last season’s 12-9 starting lineup, there is plenty of talent in a somewhat less experienced roster this winter. Senior captains Cal Filson and Aaron Ronnow have lead the Mounties to a 2-0 record to start of the season, proving to be pivotal in kickstarting the offence from the backcourt with commendable skill and court vision. Meanwhile, guard and junior captain Pat Storie has built off of a strong sophomore year by anchoring offensive transitions and giving the team more presence around the arc.   

Coach Bob Thistle is in  his fifth season with the Mounties, and after proving himself in Berkshire County over the last few years, hopes to bring the boys even further. After graduating seven seniors from last year, Thistle was tasked with giving cohesiveness and structure to a new starting five. However, through steady training and effective tactics, Greylock has got off to the ideal start, by defeating St. Joe 64-26 in the opening game of the season. Aaron Ronnow lead the Mounties with 17 points while Cal Filson showed talent in driving to the basket and feeding passes into the post or out on the periphery. Sophomores Sean McCormack and Sam Dils brought athleticism to the court, putting up 20 points between them and combining well on fast breaks.

Greylock again secured a home win when they hosted McCann Tech on Monday night. In a dominant display which improved the Mounties to 2-0, the Basketball team defeated McCann 69-53. Pat Storie and Aaron Ronnow each scored 19 points, with Storie hitting three three-pointers. Staying in the lead for all four quarters, Greylock used aggressive defense and calculated offensive plays to shut down McCann and find space to around the court to shoot. With encouraging displays so early on in the season, Greylock have gained momentum heading into the Winter Break, and hope to continue their form when they travel to Wahconah on the 28th.