Boys’ Soccer Off to Dominant Start

The boys’ soccer team’s season is in full swing and they have had great results. With a mix of dominant and gritty wins, the Mounties have proved that they are the team to beat this season in Berkshire County.

Greylock opened its season with an assertive 6-0 win against out of state opponent Burr and Burton Academy. A commanding 8-0 win over Taconic, 5-0 win against Wahconah, and 5-1 win versus Lenox added more tallies to the Greylock win column. On the game against Lenox, David Majetich said “The fact that they (Lenox) are just as good as any other Berkshire County team and that we controlled the game completely makes a statement that we are ready. It also gives us more confidence as a team which allows us to play better soccer.”

So far Greylock’s toughest opponent has been Monument. The two teams met three times last year. During the regular season Monument beat Greylock early on and the teams tied later in the season. The teams played in the Western Mass semifinal and in a nail-biting penalty shootout, the Mounties came away with a clutch win. The teams faced each other again for the first time since that game and Greylock won 1-0 with a goal in the 66th minute from Eric Hirsch. The two teams will meet again in the last game of the regular season at Monument.

As of the first eight games of the season, Hirsch and Dan Flynn lead the team with eight goals apiece. Felix Kershaw has found the back of the net five times while Sam Dils has added four tallies. Grant Raphael has distinguished himself as an excellent distributer with five assists. On defense, Jake Foehl, Taylor Carlough, Ian Brink, and Majetich have aided goalkeeper, Cal Filson, only allowing a two goals through eight games.

The team will face a series of tough opponents coming up. Matchups against division one teams such as West Springfield, Longmeadow, and Ludlow should be thrilling and close games. With its fiery offense and wall of a defense, Greylock is sure to continue to be a threat to all teams. “There’s no one thing that leads to success,” said Majetich. “It starts with team chemistry. With that we can communicate and push each other.” If the results continue, the team is sure to have a strong run in the Western Mass tournament.