Cross Country Shows Successful Senior Night

Seniors and captains Emily Ouellette and Phoebe Barnes pose together. – Photo Courtesy of Jackie Brannan

The Mount Greylock Girls and Boys Cross Country teams celebrated senior night Wednesday, October 4th, marking the final home race of the season. Kicking off at 4:30 pm, seniors from the boys team were commemorated before their race began. Seniors Andrew Petropulos and Ollie Swabey led the race, with Swabey finishing in first and Petropulos following in second. Followed by Greylock runners in 6th, 7th, 9th, and 10th places, the Mounties earned a win over Taconic, Lee, and rival Lenox. Despite the high temperatures and sweltering humidity, runners voiced their feelings of accomplishment upon finishing their final home race. 

“I think it’s the hardest course in Berkshire County,” senior and captain Vincent Welch said. “We were all racing for place, not for time. I think we are all really happy with how the race turned out.” 

The boys team defends their undefeated record this season, with hopes of winning a title in the MIAA State Tournament later this fall.

“The fact that we had 25 out of 47 members of our team as middle schoolers who were really dedicated was great,” said Coach Alexandra Case, who emphasized her hopes of claiming a state title following their runner-up finish last year.

On the girls side, seniors kicked off their final race at 5:00pm after commemorations. Sophomore Adriana Carasone finished first for Mount Greylock and second overall at 22:06, behind Lenox’s senior Alice Culver. Junior Vera deJong and freshman Page Tudor followed closely behind, giving Greylock third and fourth place. In a close 26-31 win over Lenox, seniors celebrated their final time racing on the home course.

“Everybody put in a lot of effort and it shows. It was a great night despite the weather,” senior and captain Phoebe Barnes said. Senior Emily Ouellette, also a captain, echoed similar opinions, emphasizing a strong team dynamic that helped guide the Mounties to their win on Wednesday. 

Both senior captains and coach Anne Barber showed optimism for the rest of the season, looking forward to the Western Mass and state tournaments.