Mounties Nordic Ski Enters Season Snowless

Photo courtesy of Krishiv Malhotra

Though there is no snow on the grounds of Mount Greylock, the school’s Nordic Ski team has begun its season regardless. One of the school’s most successful teams, the lack of snow has forced them to find more creative ways to train, become stronger, and improve their skills in less than ideal conditions.

With no snow on the ground, practices, which started in late November, have been a challenge. So far the team has been doing mostly dryland training, which consists of running and skate skiing, largely around the school. Many skiers find this less than enjoyable. 

Hilary Greene, one of the team’s three coaches, explained, “Some teammates feel like they didn’t sign up for running or bounding. They really want to be on snow.” However, she said, “Being part of the ski team in Massachusetts means you have to be super flexible.” 

The ski team has been able to take advantage of local ski mountains to practice. According to senior Annie Miller, the team has had “a couple early morning Saturday practices at Jiminy Peak.” These sessions allow the teams to take advantage of the snow that is sometimes present at higher altitudes or the snow that is made by the local resorts. The ski team has also taken advantage of Prospect Mountain in Vermont, which they visited for the first time this season in mid-December.

Despite the difficult start to the training season, the members of the team have high hopes for what is to come. Last year, the girl’s team took third place at the state championships. The boy’s team has won the state title the past three years. 

Both teams aim to bring home the state championship title this year. With snow or without, the teams know their ultimate goal is to make a memorable season. 

“We would love to win states,” Miller said, but one of the most important parts is to “have fun and build up the team.”