Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Coach A. plays

Coach A. plays "Friday"

Coach A. plays "Friday"

Coach A. plays “Friday”

On Wednesday, October 22, students and faculty members came together to put on musical performances as part of the fourth installment of Greylock Plays. The meeting room was transformed into a showcase theater during block five so that students Laura Galib, Jack Hydon, Hannah Trimarchi, Eric Hirsch and Physical Education teacher Brandon Asplundh could demonstrate their talents in their respective instruments.

Galib and band conductor Lyndon Moors kicked off the event. With Galib playing the piano and Moors accompanying on the english horn, the duo performed an impeccable instrumental version of “Turning Tables” by Adele. Freshman Hannah Trimarchi followed that up with a cover of “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac, reminiscent of the Dixie Chicks’ version, showing prowess in both guitar and vocals. Senior Eric Hirsch came next with a masterful solo piano performance of Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning.” All eyes were on the next performer, Brandon Asplundh, who started off with a beautiful rendition of “Home” by Jack Johnson. Asplundh then went on to play “Friday” by Rebecca Black. Most of the audience would agree that his performance was even greater than Rebecca Black’s herself. Last but certainly not least came Jack Hydon, who demonstrated thirteen years of practice in both piano and vocals with his performance of “Say Something” by A Great Big World.

Started by musicians last year, Greylock Plays continues to bring students and faculty together to appreciate good music performed by talented musicians. Students should mark their calendars for the next version of Greylock Plays in December.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Greylock Plays a Huge Success”

1. Student on November 14th, 2014 10:33 am

It was insensitive of the administration to play Coach A’s performance over the loud speaker. I’m sure that it was embarrassing for Coach, and it wasn’t even funny. Even the Administration needs to learn not to have fun at other’s expense.

2. Peter Niemeyer on November 14th, 2014 1:23 pm

Advisor’s Note: The Echo would caution its readers to use care in making assumptions and accusations in the comment section. I have confirmed the following 1) The use of the loud speaker on Friday to share an audio clip of Coach A’s performance of “Friday” was not an administrative action/decision. 2) The intent of its broadcast was to celebrate both Coach A’s performance and the arrival of Friday. 3) Coach A. said to me “I thought it was great.” when I asked him about it. –Mr. Niemeyer

3. Student on November 14th, 2014 10:33 am

4. Peter Niemeyer on November 14th, 2014 1:23 pm

5. Student on November 14th, 2014 10:33 am

6. Peter Niemeyer on November 14th, 2014 1:23 pm

7. Student on November 15th, 2014 10:56 pm

^Thanks, definitely did not know any of those details. In that case, the decision was probably the right move. Many of my classmates had the same opinion, so I thought I should share. Now I can tell them it’s alright after all.

.Also would like to thank you for still publishing my comment even though it was pretty harsh.
    Hi five Echo for free speech!

8. Student on November 15th, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi five Echo for free speech!

9. Student on November 15th, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi five Echo for free speech!

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Netflix’s New Documentary Series is All About… Dogs

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Hello, Dolly! to be Winter Musical

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Friends of the Arts Continues to Support Mount Greylock Theater

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Williamstown Action Orchestra Delivers Musical Joy to Greylock Community

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Students Step Up in Upcoming Spring Drama Production

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

March Comic: June Makes the Beds

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Once Upon A Mattress Preview

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

New Comic: June Does the Dishes

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Mt. Greylock’s Fall Shakespeare Play

• Greylock Plays a Huge Success

Arts

Middle School Drama a Success

Greylock Plays a Huge Success