Saratoga Trip Continued Despite Bus Mishap

864135307On October 20th, one of two buses containing 8th grade students was scraped in an accident with another truck. The two buses in which the 8th grade class left Mt. Greylock heading to the Saratoga battleground. The Saratoga Springs trip is one of a series of trips that the 8th grade takes to historic battlefields.

On the way to the battlefield, the second bus was scraped by a truck while crossing an intersection. The impact was minimal. Both busses stopped, and staff quickly ascertained that there were no injuries. As a precaution, EMTs arrived at the scene and cleared kids and staff  by 11:00 am who were in the bus. In the meantime, the bus that was not hit delivered half of the 8th grade class to the battlefield, and returned to pick up the other half of the 8th grade students once they had been cleared, since they were only about 10-20 minutes from the battleground. After further inspection of the scrap, the second bus was cleared, and used to transport the students back to Mt. Greylock at the end of the day. “They should still make their scheduled department time”, said Vice Principal Schutz referring to the 8th graders.  It’s fortunate that because of no injuries and quick action from both the Mt. Greylock administration and Dufour Bus Company the accident was quickly defused.

This story has been modified since it’s initial publication: The MGRSD administration originally reported that the Dufour Bus Company, who provides all the school busses Mt. Greylock uses, would be sending another bus to ensure a pickup of all the 8th grade. After further inspection of the scrap, the second bus was instead cleared, and used to transport the students back to Mt. Greylock at the end of the day.