Students End 2018 in Pajamas and Sweaters

Photo courtesy of Laura Dupuis

A group of students pose for a picture on Ugly Sweater Day, one of Greylock’s most well-known school spirit days.

Following a Mt. Greylock school tradition, students finished the last school week of 2018 with spontaneous festivity, celebrating Pajama Day and Ugly Sweater Day on Tuesday and Friday, respectively. While students were still expected to work hard and complete their necessary schoolwork, Pajama Day allowed them to be comfortable. Ugly Sweater Day’s job was to get students into the holiday spirit in a fun and casual manner.

Pajama Day, which was held on Tuesday, has always been a favorite among students. Oftentimes, during the rest of the year, students feel pressured to dress a certain way, usually less comfortably. Pajama Day provides a day for students to be able to wear comfortable clothes to school without judgment. As seventh grade student Jackie Brannan, explained, “the PJs show people that it’s okay to be silly and have fun.” Even some staff members and administrators took part in the tradition.

Students showed no less enthusiasm on Friday. Between the tinsels, ornaments, lights, beads, glitter, bells, and bright colors, Ugly Sweater Day at Greylock was celebrated in large numbers, and the school hallways were a sea of smiles and flashing lights. “Walking down the halls and seeing how much people want to show their school spirit and support for Greylock is amazing,” said Brannan, who, as a seventh grader, is new to the tradition.