Greylock Plays Returns

Greylock Plays resumed on Thursday after a short hiatus, marking its sixth year. The student-run program, featuring short musical performances, kicked off in the foyer, with over one hundred students and faculty attending. Four groups of students were featured.

Sam Tucker-Smith performed the first act with “Absolutely Nothing,” a song from the musical he is currently writing. The musical follows the story of a mother, who after losing one child adopts two more, only to have one attempt suicide. The song mixes melancholy tones with pure anger and grief as the mother tries to cope with what has happened. The stirring performance left the audience visibly shocked, before bursting into applause at the act’s conclusion.

Tucker-Smith’s performance was followed by a rendition of “Hidden Falls,” originally by Taylor Davis, from Victoria Melkonyan on piano and Michael Faulkner on violin. Marleigh Briggs sang “Hostage,” by Billie Eilish. The show was rounded out by a jazz group comprised of Oscar Low, Max Rhie, and Brandon Fahlenkamp.

The event was organized by junior Ashtyn Faas, who said that Principal Mary MacDonald, guidance counselor Jessica Casalinova, and band teacher Lyndon Moors had all approached her in hopes that she would carry Greylock Plays on and that they would have “a positive presence” in the school. Faas said that even though the program was usually run by seniors, she still “loved taking it on and really enjoyed it.”

Faas also emphasized that Greylock Plays allows students who don’t partake in other music programs, such as band or orchestra, to be able to perform and showcase their talents. “I think it really just brings people together. I got people like Marleigh Briggs, and other people that you wouldn’t necessarily think — maybe they don’t take up band or do orchestra or maybe their not in music lab, but they have this amazing talent and they’re able to showcase that.” According to Faas, Greylock Plays is really about allowing students to “share what they’re good at and what their passion is with other people.”

Faas plans to put on at least four more plays this year and said that “as long as this keeps going as well as it is, and as successful as this performance was I think I’m going to do it next year for my senior year as well.”