New Track Ready for Use by Spring 2025

Photo courtesy of Krishiv Malhotra
Construction of the track

Construction of the new track at Mount Greylock began in late November this year. In a single day, excavators and other heavy machinery became the prominent features of the landscape behind the school gymnasium. Although a late fall start for the project may seem odd, as winter is approaching and the ground will be frozen, there is a specific strategy behind the construction process. 

The current construction will likely continue for the next few weeks. As of now, the main obstacle is the uneven surface the construction team is working with. School Business Administrator Joe Bergeron said, “The construction firm is busy reshaping the earth to form the foundation for the field and track complex. Our hope is that they’ll continue working into early January. At that point, the earth will probably be too frozen or snow will be on the ground, creating a pause in work until late March.”

After this break, however, construction will make major progress throughout the spring and summer of 2024. Once the ground is thawed out, the actual material will begin to be layered on the track. 

“Construction will restart as soon as weather allows, probably in March,” Bergeron said. “We’ll see drainage set down, then layers of compacted gravel and stone to form the foundation for the track, then asphalt and concrete in the late spring and early summer. After that, we’ll see layers of the materials that go down, cure, and receive additional layers for all of the track and field sports. The light poles will be erected in the early summer as well. Then, the sod for the playing field along with finishing touches like fences.”

Bergeron said the construction should be completed in early fall 2024, though no one will be able to use the track until the spring, and the playing field won’t be available for use until the following fall.

“The spring of 2025 will be the first season for the Track & Field team in the new complex. The playing field will be given a full season to mature and we’ll see the first games on the new playing field in the fall of 2025 with the soccer teams,” Bergeron said. 

Once completed, the facility will have a premium grass field, an eight lane track, and event-specific areas.