Film Review: “Dune: Part Two”

2023 gave us many movies to be excited about – from the “Barbenheimer” frenzy all the way to the countless oscars nominees, 2023 sure made a great showing that sets a high bar for the 2024 season. So far, however, we have not been disappointed this year. Most of that credit must be attributed to “Dune: Part Two,” Denis Villneueve’s followup to the 2021 hit “Dune.”

This film  is the smash hit we have been hoping for. Besides being just a totally awesome sci-fi movie, “Dune: Part 2” checks all the boxes. It is dramatic, action packed and it has Elvis – oh wait – I mean Austin butler. 

Villeneuve has already presented us with countless incredible sci-fi films, such as “Arrival” and “Blade Runner 2049.” He has also proven his worth in thriller and action films with his 2009 hit “Prisoners” and 2012 “Sicario.” When it was announced that he would be rebooting the beloved sci-fi world of Frank Herbert’s “Dune,” the hype was immense, and the film lived up to it.

Dune 2021 was a wonderful set up for part two and offered an amazing spectacle that launched the world into the life of Paul Atreides and the planet of Arakas. While some complained the film was slow and uneventful, it is clear that the movie was made with the intention of setting up part two. 

Right from the start, “Dune: Part Two” blows you away. Every twist and turn taken has a wonderful mix of drama and action. When we are presented with action it is so intense you can do nothing but be amazed. Every explosion feels so in-your-face, and the drama and tension pulls at your skin and gives you the shivers. Without a doubt, Villeneuve has already shown that he is a great director – but he chose to stamp his name on the list once again. 

The pacing of the film is incredible: just when you are starting to get a little bored of the slower, more intimate storytelling bits, all of a sudden you have Timothée Chalamet blowing up an Ornithopter while Zendaya is kicking some Harkonnen butt.

Austin Butler’s performance as villain Feyd-Rautha – while sounding a bit like Elvis – certainly blew everyone away. He was everything a jacked psychopathic killer should be: ruthless, evil and downright sinister.

Zendaya as Chani could easily star in her own movie, and her endless array of talent is built and painted onto screen. She is fantastic as a warrior and there is no doubt she will be a huge player if part three comes along.

Without a doubt, this is Timothée Chalamet’s best chance for a best actor Oscar. Rarely in modern sci-fi cinema has a character taken over the screen so emphatically and passionately. Chalamet owns the screen with incredible charisma and passion. 

“Dune: Part Two” will certainly make a pull for best picture, and looking at the 2024 lineup, it should win. “Dune: Part Two” is reviving the sci-fi world and launching a whole new charter for cinema going forward. By proving that small budget films with good directors behind the camera can do well, as “Dune: Part Two” accomplished, studios will realize the appeal for these films.