“The Boy and the Heron,” a Masterpiece of Animation

Photo believed to be distributed by Japanese company, Toho

Hayao Miyazaki has blessed the silver screen with many classics. Most notably is his 2001 film “Spirited Away.” 22 years later, Miyazaki has proved himself once again with his latest hit, “The Boy and the Heron.” 

Miyazaki takes viewers on another brilliant and mind-boggling journey through an alternate world filled with white fluffy creatures called warawaras and giant hungry parakeets. Within Myazaki’s wild new world lies a beautiful story about regret and self-growth. Miyazaki’s latest character, Mahito, struggles to adapt to his new life after the death of his mother. Mahito encounters a rather strange heron that informs him of some unsettling news, launching Mahito into a brand new adventure to help save the ones he loves. 

Myazaki’s latest film offers a significant and fresh take on the idea of regret and loss. Behind the giant killer parakeets and the magical tower is an impactful and moving story. Right from the beginning, the viewer is drawn into Mahito’s anguish and struggle. It is impossible not to root for Mahito as he struggles to find some semblance of peace in the face of his mother’s death.

Much like “Spirited Away,” Mahito encounters a diverse and alternate world that leaves the viewer questioning reality itself. The characters he meets and the people he grows to love all have a huge impact on his life in both worlds. Each world with its own story and purpose come together and create a beautiful plot that leaves the viewer speechless. 

Outside of Miyazaki’s incredible story is a marvelous array of colors and pictures that sometimes don’t even feel like an animated movie. The viewer is pulled straight into every scene and its setting, and every building and object has a purpose. The attention to detail visually and the story itself proves why Miyazaki is regarded so highly as both a writer and director. 

This is easily one of Miyazaki’s best animations and, visually, his work is pure art. Each shot is a painting that you could spend hours breaking down. Hats off to the Myazakis and the folks at Studio Ghibli. If you can, go check out “The Boy and the Heron” in theaters soon.