Worth the Wait: “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”

Photo believed to be distributed by Lionsgate Entertainment

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” the latest movie in “The Hunger Games” series, was released this November. The film depicts Panem, the dystopian world of “The Hunger Games,” before the original trilogy, released back in 2012 and 2013, begins.

The film is directed by Francis Lawrence and based on the novel of the same name by Suzanne Collins. It brings a fresh perspective to the strange universe of Panem, revealing the early days of “The Hunger Games” and the rise of the infamous President Snow, the central antagonist of the original trilogy.

Tom Blyth plays Coriolanus Snow with flair and persuasiveness. The plot follows Snow as he navigates the treacherous Capitol, the utopian city home to Panem’s most wealthy and powerful citizens. He mentors a tribute from District 12, the impoverished Lucy Gray Baird, played by the talented Amanda Stenberg. The story dives into the ruthless decisions Snow makes in order to survive and gain rank in the Capitol. The film showcases the brutality of the Hunger Games, where the tributes are forced to fight to the death for the entertainment of the people lucky enough to live in the Capitol.

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” successfully depicts the power, manipulation and resilience occurring in a world that is slowly falling apart due to poverty and oppression. The film offers a relevant exploration of the divide between the privileged and the oppressed, and this commentary draws the audience into the frightening and all too realistic world of Panem.

The film does an excellent job in developing the character of President Snow, highlighting the events and circumstances that made him into the dangerous and evil man he is in the first three movies. Blyth’s portrayal of a young and ambitious Snow is both mesmerizing and horrifying, as he navigates through a world of corruption and cruelty.

One of the most eye catching parts of “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is its exploration of human actions and the human spirit when challenged with difficult issues. The film portrays the resilience and unbreakable spirit of Lucy Gray Baird as she fights for survival. Her character provides a huge contrast to Snow, who has no morals. She gives hope and inspiration to a world that seems to only have darkness.

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is a dramatic and emotional film that offers a fresh perspective on “The Hunger Games.” With its powerful cast, action-filled scenes and compelling storyline, the film is a must-see. It is an awesome exploration of power, manipulation and humanity in a horrifying world, and an incredible addition to “The Hunger Games” series./