Girls Lacrosse Cruising Through Competition

Lacrosse

The Mt. Greylock Girl’s Lacrosse team opened their season with a hot start at 2-0. They played their first game against the Pittsfield Generals Friday, April 3rd, on  Williams College’s new turf field. The Mounties gained a decisive 15-3 win over the Generals. Almost every Mountie scored in the victory, some even scored more than once. Freshman Caroline Flynn drew first blood three minutes into the game. Senior captain Lucy Barrett scored twice and sophomore Sarah Stripp scored once before the Generals called a timeout. The Mounties were up 4-0 and outshooting the Generals 8-1. Greylock then put in 9 more goals: another goal each from Stripp and Barrett, two from freshman Emma Polumbo, and one from junior Maggie Rorke and sophomore Catherine Cavalli. In the beginning of the second half, senior Julia Whitney scored as did Stripp again. Greylock had eight different scorers in the win. Stripp continues to be a Greylock lacrosse legend. After joining the varsity squad as a seventh grader, Stripp provided immediate results. Cavalli, new to the team this year, also showed promise, scoring in her first varsity game.

Besides the game against Pittsfield, the Mounties also participated in a jamboree in East Longmeadow. They played Mount Anthony, Amherst, Brattleboro, East Longmeadow, and Wahconah. Of the tournament, Coach Lindsey Von Holtz said, “We played pretty well. Honestly, I wasn’t looking at that one as a win loss situation. That was just learning about ourselves in many senses. People played positions all over the field, some that they didn’t necessarily expect to play. So we used that as an opportunity for me to figure out who could be playing where, and for the girls to improve.”

After losing to East Longmeadow in a jamboree rematch, the Mounties beat Chicopee Comp to improve their record to 6-1. Mount Greylock then decimated a young Hoosac Valley team 20-6, further improving their record to 7-1. The Mounties continued their winning streak beating Lee, Wahconah and Hoosac Valley again. After those wins, the Mounties beat Pittsfield, Hoosac Valley and for the first time in program history, Mount Anthony Union High School. The team’s record is currently 13-1, and the mounties are undefeated at home, heading into a tough match up with Burr and Burton tonight.