Promising Season Ahead for Girls’ Cross Country

Running

As the fall season rolls in, Girl’s Cross Country looks to be gearing up for a strong year. With freshman runner Margo Smith leading the charge, the team is putting forth a powerful front pack, including senior Ellie Williams, juniors Niku Darafshi and Emily Lescarbeau, and sophomore Bella Bote. Williams, who has thus far been the top senior runner, said that the team has “work to do, but things are looking good and everyone is training hard.” The girls are certainly faster than they were last year, and in the words of top-runner Smith, “The races have been going awesome and so many girls have improved.” The Mounties look to be a dominant force in Berkshire County this year and could beat every team in the county, except possibly Lenox who, to quote Coach Larry Bell, look to be “unreachable.”

The team looks like it will have significant depth in coming years with the number one runner being only a freshman and, according to Margo, there are, “a lot of new girls on the team who have been doing really well in both meets and practices.”

On September 9th, Greylock raced at Lenox and handily defeated Pittsfield High School and Monument Mountain, but were left in the dust by a fierce Lenox pack. A week later, on the 16th of September, the Mounties raced at home against Lee, Pittsfield, and Lenox. Fifteen minutes and fifty-eight seconds after the gunshot, Margo Smith won the race with Lenox’s best runner, Emma Jourdain, only one second behind her. Although Lenox put their top five between Greylock’s first and second runner, seven Greylock runners crossed the finish line before any other team’s’ number one. As long as the girls remain healthy and maintain their skilled front pack, they should have a successful season this year.