Student Council Begins Year With New Goals

It can sometimes be hard for Mount Greylock students to express their thoughts, opinions, or ideas to the administration because they feel as though their concerns do not hold precedence. This is where student council comes in. According to president Ella Dudley, “[the student council’s] main goal is to hear opinions from the student body and relay it to administration.” Student council works to provide a connection between the student body and administration, giving students a voice. Also, student council is a platform for change; it works with the students and administration to provide the best possible environment for the school as a whole.

In the last few years, student council has completed a few important projects. For example, a few years ago students wanted a second microwave in the cafeteria as the line for the first microwave was always incredibly long. Students brought the issue up to student council, and the council was able to fundraise the money and solve the problem by purchasing a second microwave. This was also true for the filtered water initiative. The fountain water was found, on multiple occasions throughout the years, to not be the healthiest choice, so a group of students came to student council about the problem. With a compromise from administration, student council was able to purchase a filtered water fountain. This not only made the water safest for students – it also made filling up water bottles much easier, helping the environment by saving plastic water bottles. Since it was such a positive change in the old school building, it was decided that every water fountain in the new building would have these filters.

This year, student council has been working on several initiatives. For one, in order to support other clubs as well as itself, the council has been doing lots of fundraising. Another project lies within the realm of mental health. With the increased societal pressures on the newest generation, there is more pressure for high schoolers to perform at the highest possible level. This is to ensure readiness for an increasingly competitive real world. These pressures have taken an immense toll on students’ mental health and stress levels. The student council is working to address this issue. We’re working with Ms. P. [school adjustment counselor, Alison Pardalis Johnson] this year regarding the mental health initiative for the high school,” explained Dudley. Student council’s mental health initiative began at the end of last year, but the group hopes to build upon it in the coming months.

It is important to any school environment for the student body to work well with the administration. Luckily, the Mount Greylock administration has been supportive of student council and its initiatives. Advisor and guidance counselor Jessica Casalinova is also a great connection to administration and has played a crucial role in the success of initiatives and projects. However, the council is often looked down upon by the student body. “Last year, Josh Duncan [former student council president] worked to gain respect from the student body and we’re working to keep that going this year,” Dudley told the Echo. It is vitally important to the success of student council that the student body remain supportive.  

Remembering that the group serves to provide the student body with a voice, it should be noted that communication through student council is actually very easy. Students can bring up issues to any of the council members or to Casilanova, who will bring the issue to light in the next meeting. Meetings are always open to anyone who wants to attend, not solely the elected class representatives. As a student, it is important to know that there are many ways to express opinions, problems, or other concerns to a body that will make sure to consider them.